Monday, October 3, 2016

Day 28-32

Day 28 

My big day with Pony, we hike into the notch at first it's not bad but then, the boulders came. Quite interesting was the changes in temperature. It would be like a hot summer day with heat & humidity, then it would be cold like a freezer with the ability to see your breath. Big boulders little boulders some you ho over some you go under through little holes too small for you & your backpack. I got the sense of pack on- pack off like karate kid. Lots of fun. I'm so glad to have had a person to do this stretch with. There were a couple of times that Pony had to help me up or down off the ledges we were maneuvering. We thought it was over at this 1 point and so I released him to go ahead, I had a snack and took my time to move and low & behold there was more to move through. It took is 2&1/2 hours to get through 1 mile of trail. Amazing. Stuff     

 

This is Pony and I wiggling through a crevasse  I wish I had more to show you 

 

 

Notice the arrow pointing down my backpack on top we won't fit together. What fun. I did put this shot as my FB but not until I was gone for a while from here. I don't post updates to FB for safety reasons and wish you all would not share it there either, thank you. 

So after this amazing crawl I still had a big day in front of me I'm hoping to be on NH tonight. As the day goes on I lost my ambition to make it to NH I pull up just shy to a shelter, I'll make NH tomorrow.  

It's my first time setting up my tent on a platform I'm not sure of how to do it where do you put the stakes? I use the spaces between the boards to place the poles it seems to work okay. It's weird but flat no roots or rocks to worry about. I hiked 7.2 miles today over 5 peaks, I took a side trail .5 to summit Gooseye West Mt. The shelter is .5 off trail so with extra side trails over 8 miles. I'm the only one at the shelter until after 7 5 people show up and stay in the shelter. It's only .5 miles til NH i get there tomorrow for sure. 

Day 29 Sat 9-10

Maine is almost behind me! I wake up early and get on my way I'm hoping to get to Goham NH by Sunday. My bible reading today is Psalm 118 God has saved me from death! I'm about to get out of my first state today 7:40am I enter NH 

 

There it is a leaning sign amazing I feel as if I'm getting there now. Im only going 10 miles today so I take my time and stop and talk to many NOBO's  I finally meet these kids I was told about 4 kids 8-14 from the same family only the kids are on the trail mom meets them at road crossings they are all very sweet kids, I would have never in a million yes be able to do that. I met them on top of Mount Success the first mountain in NH I make my communications and let people know I'm okay after doing the Notch I had asked my church for prayer to have a companion and no injury. I got both! Thank you Jesus! Great day until later in the afternoon a drizzling rain started. A grouse in the trail let me photograph him most of them flew away very awkwardly 

 

The rain started about 3 until about 5 I couldn't wait to put up my tent and get dry. I arrive at the campsite and the rain had stopped but the winds were really blowing. It help to dry me off. I went to get water and met 2 men that just arrived and had mentioned s fire. I would join them for the warmth and conversation. 

Day 30 9-11

It had been storming through the night with thunder & lightning, but when I woke up there was a clam in the air the winds had disappeared and I packed up and was heading into Gorham today. I'm really looking forward to a shower & bed for the next rest. I start out early 6:45 and need to hike 8 miles I get going and I start hearing thunder again then the rain starts coming I know I have 2 peaks today and hope they are not bald ones. Not that I don't want a view but T-storms and hiking are never a good combination. Rain is coming down pretty heavy thunder and lightning is happening and I'm just pushing to get to Gorham. There are some bald spots here & there, but I'm fortunate not to be there when the storms were close. I can't wear my glasses because they are fogging up with the moisture and rain, I'm glad I can see okay without them just not great details. I keep hiking no views today! I'm on my last descent when the rain stops. At the bottom of the trail I enter into a dirt road, here is when I realize that NH trails are not marked with the white dash like ME is. I keep going down the road wondering if I'm on the trail still, at the end of the road I see the marks I'm happy but really I would have liked more affirmation before here. 

 

 The sky's really broke from the rainy day as I was walking down the street past this damn toward the White mountain Inn & hostel. As I'm walking up the hill I noticed my sox were weird, then I realized the rain had washed the dirt off my clothes & body and dribbled down them, I just had to take a pic. 

 

I knew I needed a shower. This place makes you change your clothes and they do your laundry for you! I got checked in, my room had 7 beds in it I get a great cubby bed no bunk for me! I'm expecting company but I end up getting the room all to myself. What a treat. That night at 6 I get a ride to Walmart, I get some stuff to eat for a 2 day hike. My package is at the PO which doesn't open until Monday. I decided to light hike 21 miles which is a little different than slack pack, you still have your tent & stove but very little else. I was able to leave a bunch of stuff at the hostel. 

Day 31 mon 9-12

I didn't get to sleep until after 2am breakfast at 7am then a shuttle to Pinkerton Notch. I'm let off with Pony yes the same guy that went through the Mahoosuc Notch with me! There is also GoatGas & FineLine I ask if we 3 could hike together we do for a very little while then they said I was going faster than they wanted to go so I should go ahead. I'm really feeling like I'm home. Hiking in NH has challenges that most other places don't. This trail I'm doing this time is in a NOBO direction straight up Wildcat Mt. It's very steep but with great views. A few NOBO's pass me, but I'm still feeling really good about my day hiking and am making my way uphill pretty fast for me even with very little sleep. I think it's the caffeine. Not sure but I'm able to do more and faster than before, just having s great day! That is until I get to Carter hut 1 of the AMC's huts in the Whites. I sit down in the hut have some lunch and snacks I stay longer than I wanted to, then it's all I can do to hike anymore, I lost my momentum. I make it only 8.5 miles to Zeta Pass. So much for being on top of the world in the am then dragging, so much for the 13 mile plan. I'll have to do 13 tomorrow. It's windy and cold as I set up my tent, then get dinner cooked. I was shivering as I was eating my dinner. I had to layer up. I think I waited too long I can't get the cold out of me. I'll have to get better about getting layers on faster before I get shivers. I get into my sleeping bag with every piece of clothing I had with me. Thank God I warmed up during the night. The elevation was about 3500 ft with high winds and cold temps. The coldest I've been since I started.  I'm thinking a warmer sleeping bag should be in order soon. 

 

 

Day 32 9-13 

I woke up several times in the night but finally at 5:30 got up feeling much better after getting warm. I had breakfast and off I went. Up over more big mountains I summited Mt Moriah for a 4000 footer not on the trail.  Just a little side track. The last 1/2 of the day was all downhill making my 13 mile day back into Gorham easier but my knees don't like too much downhill at the same time. I made it back to the hostel they had picked up my mail drop for me. I get my resupply and it's too much so I forward some to the next hostel in N Woodstock. I'll be heading out the next day for the presidential range. 

 

 

Happy Feet! Happy to be in NH!

No comments:

Post a Comment